Monday, December 6, 2010

Classmate Review 2

Today in class out of the seven presentations, I found that Melissa's book on family life to be the one that interested me the most and the proposal that I would endorse. The idea was not only original, but I feel that it would be relatable to many people of different ages, ethnic background, and family type.
Melissa began her speech with the introduction of the book she plans on writing. It gave insight into her own family life and the fondness she had for her family. She described the fun times she had were sisters and also the loss they all felt with the death of her grandfather. I saw this introduction as a teaser that gave a lot of insight into what the rest of the book would be like.
As Melissa broke the book up by dividing into the chapters: Marriage, Education, Cohesion, etc. one can see that though each topic may differ, it is all centered on the strong feelings that come from family. Each chapter would give insight into how to cope with different situations the family would come across. She also said that there would be activities that the family could together which I thought was important and a great idea.
When it came to the advertising of her book, Melissa created a mock of what her billboard and magazine would be like. I loved her examples because they were bright and attention grabbers. She also made them cohesive with each other which I thought to be extremely smart since an audience would remember what her book cover was like to from the images they saw on the billboards and their favorite magazine. Melissa might also want to try advertising her book on family television stations. Even though it might not be the best way for a family to bond, a lot of families all sit together and watch television. Having a commercial for her book on stations that show family sitcoms would be the perfect place to reach families.
I think what I liked most about Melissa’s pitch was that I myself could relate to having a close family that has somewhat grown apart. Having both my sister and I away from home and at school for most of the year has taken a toll on my family’s closeness. I think a book giving us ideas on how to stay connected and even having activities to do when we are all together would be very beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment